Thursday, November 08, 2007

Frida


Another thing I love about the cities....the chance to be pretentious and feign culturedness. Right down my alley! :) On Saturday I went with my friend Bethany (who is an art major) to see the Frida Kahlo exhibit at the Walker. I didn't know a lot about her work, but I knew enough to be interested, and know that she was worth going to visit.
We went early because the first Saturday of the month is free, and therefore busy. Really, even for an uneducated non-artist, the exhibit was amazing. Disturbing, yes. Depressing, yes. But evocative and descriptive. I left the Kahlo exhibit amazed at her rawness and her courage to look her difficult life in the face.
Some of my art-high must have been pretentiousness, though. I tried to come home and explain to Vance what an amazing artist Frida was, and he looked at me like I had grown three heads. "Her life sounds awful and depressing," he said. "I'm glad I didn't go."
I guess I'm glad he didn't, as well. Don't get me wrong--I love my husband and I love doing pretty much everything with him. But I don't think he would have enjoyed that experience, and I'm glad I got to.

No comments: