Thursday, September 17, 2009

Where'd he get that from?

Not gonna lie...today was a hard day, made harder perhaps because there have been a lot of hard days lately. Lots of emotionally fragile people in the Whitaker household of late. I think I am finally getting it in my head that this is the kind of stuff that Paul tells us we need to perservere through--"let us not grow weary in doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up." (gal.6:9). Good thing there isn't any actual "eject" button for mothers, so we don't cheat ourselves out of our harvest!

I've also had a line from Stuart Townend's song in my head: "The fields of hope in which I sow // will be harvested in heaven." I need to be reminded that my work is not just to deal with whiny kids all day--confiscating water bottles-turned-bone-of-contention, dealing with truant nappers, and peeling small people off my legs periodically--but to point them in their need (and myself in my need) to Jesus, for their eternal joy.

That's not to say that there weren't little joyful moments in my day. Like Isaac, coming up to me while I was making dinner, and saying, "Mom! I'm going to go, get on my tricycle, get some money, and go have some FUN!"

If only it were that easy :).

1 comment:

Becca said...

Wish you were here to tell me the details and laugh with me about it! Hard days (or weeks, for that matter) are just plain hard. I will be praying for the Whitaker household and for you as you attempt to make and keep normalcy. Miss you guys!