Tuesday, November 06, 2007

witty comeback...or not

I was in the grocery store today, loading up my groceries (here in the Midwest we have to bag our own) when I heard a strange voice addressing me.

"I'm so glad you're here," a bland, middle-aged man in a plaid shirt commented to me.

I glanced up and gave him a quizzical, friendly, but somewhat detatched look.

"I'm just glad that there's someone here with a bigger belly than me!" he said.

A multitude of thoughts raced through my head at that moment. What should I say back?

"Not for much longer, I hope." or
"Potbellies of the world, unite!" or
"I exist to make you feel better about yourself" or
"At least my belly is temporary!"

In the end, thinking those responses were too rude, I ended up smiling congenially and saying something really noncommittal, like, "Glad I could help."

I wonder what would have happened if I had said what I really thought. :)

3 comments:

Jenn said...

You are so witty and funny! I love your humor ...

Joy said...

so I also had a similar experience last weekend...I was in the hallmark and one of the old ladies that was working there said "not much longer now!" I said, "well, almost three more months." and she was just like "oh." in my mind, I said, "but thanks for making me feel bigger than I already do!" but of course outwardly I just smiled politely...

Susan said...

I really like this one...

"Potbellies of the world, unite!"