Friday, February 15, 2008

worth a try...

This morning, my friends Becca and Bethany came over for prayer. We're trying to make this a weekly thing. I'm excited about the opportunity to intercede for them and others in my life, and see what God will do afterwards. Mom had a prayer group that met together when I was in high school and college. Apart from the growth in their friendships, Mom also talked about how they had seen many answers to the prayers they had faithfully offered over the months and years. So I'm excited.

I also think we're crazy. Becca has a 2.5 year old and a 4 month old, Bethany has a 7 month old, and I of course have a 2 year old and a 2 month old. By the time they got their babies, car seats, purses, coats, and addenda in our little living room, it was half full. By the time Eva and Zack had emptied the contents of the toy basket on the floor, it looked like my house had exploded. There were babies everywhere.

We talked, ate breakfast, discussed some prayer requests, and (much later) actually got to the business of praying. I looked around and thought, "we must be nuts" and "Vance would never be able to handle this." Men just aren't as good at multitasking, and this is multitasking on steroids. But after all, that's what motherhood is, learning to love God and cling to him in the midst of the chaos that is loving and training your family while being a friend and a support to people around you. I hope I get better at multitasking like this, and I hope one day we will look back at our prayer requests that we prayed in the midst of a flurry of diapers, spit-up, lego creations, and books, and see that God was answering faithfully.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Terri --
How wonderful to have friends to pray with and for! Thanks for sharing this post. It was inspiring and encouraging for me and a great picture/description godly womanhood and motherhood -- seeing God's faithfulness in the midst of wonderful chaos :)
Hope you are doing well -- I miss you!

Bethany