Thursday, January 06, 2011

Baby and Me

I realized that I have very few pictures with me and Evie. Isaac snapped this one of us. Perhaps next time I'll try when sleep deprivation isn't hitting me so hard. Or when I have some makeup on. Or when Evie doesn't look like she's about to sneeze. But it's a start.

Today I got 2 (!) happy comments from people at the grocery store. I don't know what it is about going to the grocery store, but I must have some invisible sign on saying, "Please make comments about me, my children, and my parenting." I cannot tell you how many times I've heard some variation on the theme of, "Wow, your hands are full!" or, "I don't know how you do it!" I suppose they are trying to be nice, but the tone of voice says something like, "Lady, you are crazy, and just looking at you makes me tired." Ultimately, I don't really care what random strangers in the store think, but comments like that don't really help me feel encouraged and valued. Let's just say that.

Lately, however, we have been attracting more encouraging (if still unoriginal) comments. Such as, "You have the cutest little children," or, "Your baby is so sweet!" or, "Cherish every second of it...they grow up so fast." One day, an older woman at the grocery store (see what I mean? It's always there!) even said, "I really admire you."

Dealing with the little ups and downs of our day somehow felt a little easier after that. Certainly better than having, "you have your hands full!" ringing in my ears.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We were just talking about that the other day. If one of us goes out with just one of the girls, we get all kinds of smiles and sweet comments. But if I have both girls, I get annoyed looks and the "you have your hands full" comments. Sometimes, I just want to say, "You think this looks full? You should have seen my mom with all four of us little kids at the grocery store!" But then they'd probably just run away in fear.

Rachel said...

It's amazing to me the comments people make! Believe it or not, I can't count the times someone has to me or Nathan, "Ya'll trying to be like the Duggers??" I mean COME ON! We only had our 4th baby, not the 18th!! Seriously!! I hear the "you've got your hands full" one all the time too, but more people have asked us too (from strangers in walmart to people at church) "you're done, right? Are you going to have more?"

It is annoying! But occasionally, I get the comment " you are so blessed!!" and I love that one, because it's SO TRUE!!!