Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Big Ultrasound


(note: these are Isaac's ultrasound pictures. Sorry, but the scanner wasn't working, so we'll try again tomorrow for Baby Whitaker's shots)

Well, today was a very exciting day---THE day that we got to see our little bean and find out a gender for the next Whitaker. As could be predicted, my amazing late sleeper woke up early, we all had colds, Isaac was grumpy, etc. But I got him safely off to the neighbors and went to pick up Vance. So far, so good. But Vance was running late because of his time-sensitive reaction in the lab, and even though it was 10am, traffic was horrid due to the rerouting from the bridge collapse. We got there exactly 15 minutes late, and the receptionist made a comment about it. We had to wait for a long time, and I kept staring at the sign at the desk--"If you are more than 15 minutes late for your appointment, you may be asked to reschedule." At any moment I expected the nurse to come out and say, "Sorry, we had to fill up your spot, you'll have to get a new appointment." Which takes about 6 weeks for an ultrasound. Ugggg. I think I was just nervous :). But finally, finally, the ultrasound tech came for me, and we got to go in.


It was Michelle, the same tech who did our ultrasound with Isaac. She's very nice and very good. She said, "Do you want to know gender?" and like last time, we said, "If you're sure you know, we want to know." I was half expecting this baby to play coy and maybe not show us at all, since I'd been in such suspense. But as soon as she put the ultrasound wand on my belly, bam, there was Little One with legs splayed wide open. It was quite a presentation!


Anyway, Baby is happy, healthy, hiccuping, and "spot on" (according to Dr. Preston Williams, the patriarch of the clinic) for the due date. Weighing in at 11 oz, everything looks great. We got a good look at the aorta--which had been a concern with Isaac--and the heart was beautiful.


At this point, you're ready to know, "IS THIS BABY A BOY OR A GIRL?!?!?"....and this is the really mean and diabolical part that I'm enjoying right now. I can't tell you. Yet. We've decided to tell our family in person when we see them in a week, and since they check this site, I can't exactly let the rest of you in on our little secret. But I will tell you--I will!--as soon as I can. I'm sorry for the delay and suspense (well, kinda :).

3 comments:

Ellen said...

You don't have to tell me. I know it's a boy. =) I'll get all Seth's newborn clothes ready.

Joy said...

CRUEL CRUEL CRUEL! :)can't wait to find out!

Jenn said...

Okay, that is SO NOT FAIR!!! But I still love you!! :)